About Me

My photo
Hello and welcome to my blog! My name is Nancy. I decided to retire early and my last day at the Fire District was December 31, 2020. My dream to do this pigs 'n poultry thing full time started on January 1, 2021. So far so good...

Monday, March 26, 2012

New Goals


A triathlon in June may not be in the cards this year...I'm making my peace with that, but I am continuing with my quest to improve my swimming! As I was at the gym and getting ready to leave to go home an acquaintance from my former hair salon came in and was getting ready to swim. We chatted a bit and she mentioned something about the Roy Webster Cross-Channel swim that happens during the Labor Day weekend every year.

Being slightly foolish, I decided to take a look at this particular event. It starts at the marina in Hood River, but participants are "ferried" over to the Washington side via the Sternwheeler. Once on the other side swimmers jump into the river and swim back to Hood River.

That's like a mile across...I think...OMG...CRAZY?!

Maybe, but like I have mentioned before, I like a challenge and if a triathlon isn't my future, maybe just a mile long swim...across a river...the Mighty Columbia...

I was informed that this is a low stress swim and relaxed event. Well, my acquaintance doesn't realize that I'm not THAT great of a swimmer and that anything that spans more than a quarter mile just might be a stressful thing for a novice swimmer such as myself ;) BUT - now that I have that fancy-dancy wetsuit, maybe I should consider this swim. There wouldn't be any buoys to go around (thankfully) and it is a straight shot across the river.

Hmmm...well, I do have a few months to get into shape for this swim. Maybe I should find someone who wants to swim it with me...

Here's to crazy sounding events!


No comments:

Post a Comment