About Me

My photo
Hello and welcome to my blog! My name is Nancy. I decided to retire early and my last day at the Fire District was December 31, 2020. My dream to do this pigs 'n poultry thing full time started on January 1, 2021. So far so good...

Monday, April 25, 2011

Slow Vroom

I looked forward to the first Time Trial of the season for so long that when it finally came and we rode and then finished, I wondered WHY...

Last Thursday was the first Time Trial AND It had to be THE windiest evening that I can remember since we started riding the time trials. Yes, I know that the wind whips up going down to Frenchman's Bar, but my gosh, it was horrible! So bad that about a mile into the ride I actually thought about stopping and just going back - but that would be admitting defeat and I don't want to be a quitter. I like to stop, but only after I have finished what I started. I had this feeling one other time, my first Century go HERE for that adventure. Quitting could have been an option, but waiting for a SAG wagon...yeah...well, that wasn't going to happen.

So I slogged it out 5 miles into the wind, wind that would stop you in your tracks wind and quite possibly cause you to go backwards. I had my cyclocomputer on my bike (Tom did not)...after about 1/2 a mile I was instantly demoralized. It was THAT bad. When you watch your average speed going down it's just not a warm-fuzzy feeling. Couldn't even get the right gear to keep at a decent cadence either...it was BAD. My very first EVER time trial was the last time trial of the 2009 season and it was better than last week's time. So...bad! I missed my first TT of the season goal by 1:21. I was shooting for 35:00. It took me 20 minutes to get to the turn around...that's like 4-5 minutes slower than my average times from 2010. That's how bad the wind was!

Okay, last week was the first TT and theoretically, I should get better times as the season goes on...I hope!

The only thing stopping me now is the RAIN...VROOOOOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment