About Me

My photo
Hello and welcome to my blog! My name is Nancy. I decided to retire early and my last day at the Fire District was December 31, 2020. My dream to do this pigs 'n poultry thing full time started on January 1, 2021. So far so good...

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Tortoise and the Hare

(GOOGLE IMAGES)





I am slowly coming to terms with the fact that I'm getting slower (it is a SLOW process). Not that I was fast to begin with, but still...my run times are slower now than they were 4 years ago. And all that I have read about slower run times as you get older...well, that's pretty much true. 

Since I started participating in running events it seems like my times have been pretty consistent. My first 5k was at Livestrong 2008 and I finished in 39:37/12:46 pace. My PR for a 5k was at Blue Lake 2009 Run #1 36:28 run time/11:45 pace. My 8k PR is the 2010 Shamrock at 1:01:00 for a 12:12 pace and my first 10k last year was 1:23:56/13:31 pace. There have been several other events that I have entered and finished strong, but slower than I would like. Many of my times have been hovering around the 13:30s. Not horrible I guess.

So, as I make peace with getting slower, I'll continue to try to stay consistent. Like not getting so slow that I'm walking....or that the walkers on the course pass me while I'm running. 

Oh yeah, so now that I'm on THAT subject...yesterday I did the Ridgefield Independence run and did a decent run. It's a hilly course, but a good challenge for me to do every year! Anyway, there was one race walker that I just could not catch up with! When it got to the point that running up hill was not feeling good I stopped and started walking. Then this woman just goes blasting right past me...walking!!! I don't know when, but at one point I ended up in front of her and once again I stop to walk the last hill before heading back into town and Miss Speedy-Speederson goes zippin' past me again! Show off! I'm going to blame my short legs for my inability to keep up with her...hahaha. Seriously though, that kind of hurts my already fragile ego... ;)

So, now that I am finally feeling well enough to start running on a regular basis, I'm back to my training plan. I decided to pick up where I left off in June. So I am a couple of weeks behind now. Hopefully I won't lose too many other training runs. I'm pretty sure that the Run Like Hell 1/2 marathon is going to be the Run Like Hell 10k again this year...{sigh}...maybe next year.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe running just isn't my thing...or maybe my 47 year old body is trying to tell me running isn't supposed to be my thing. I'm not going to listen. 

Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment