About Me

My photo
Hello and welcome to my blog! My name is Nancy. I decided to retire early and my last day at the Fire District was December 31, 2020. My dream to do this pigs 'n poultry thing full time started on January 1, 2021. So far so good...

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Natural Sprinters...

Man, this past Spring has been all over the place weather-wise! We have been able to get out to do some training runs and rides on the road and all, but over all, I haven't been out much to do much of anything else because of the training. We have been doing a lot of short rides 30-40 minute rides...and they don't add up to more than 7-10 miles at a time.

I can't help but think of this line from The Two Towers when Gimli says: "I'm wasted on cross-country! We dwarves are natural sprinters! Very dangerous over short distances!"

Okay, so this refers to running, but yesterday I got the same feeling while on my bike. Our longest ride this season was 16 miles and that was a hilly route that we took, but still 16 miles. Yesterday, we met up with Mark, Robin, Andrew and JB for a "friendly" ride to the end of Lower River Road. I wasn't feeling so good after we reached the end of the road and was in need of nourishment. As I mentioned before all of my rides have been training rides and I'm not in the habit of carrying food with me at this point. When the ride isn't more than 30-40 minutes at a time, there is no need. I'll be home soon enough! Yesterday I had a thought, with all the short distances that we have been riding, I've decided that I must be part Dwarf...hahaha. I like to think that I could be "Very dangerous over short distances!"

I love Time Trialing - I think that's where I am with my cycling. We have done the big rides, the goofy rides and rides with our friends. All good, but not as challenging as riding a course as FAST as you can. Riding fast on a course that is notoriously windy no less...that's where it's at for me right now.

Part dwarf. That's me!

No comments:

Post a Comment