About Me

My photo
Hello and welcome to my blog! My name is Nancy. I decided to retire early and my last day at the Fire District was December 31, 2020. My dream to do this pigs 'n poultry thing full time started on January 1, 2021. So far so good...

Friday, May 13, 2011

Time Trials & Tri Training

VBC Time Trials...
Last night was our 3rd Time Trial and it was a good night! The day ended up being MUCH nicer than anticipated and there was a pretty big turn out...I know I spied someone wearing #35...there may have been a few more - we were lined up quite a ways out on the road. This week I was #10 and Tom was #11 - I like to leave before Tom so that when he passes me I'll have someone to look at for a little while. I also like to start within the first 10 starts or so...that way there will be plenty of people behind me and I won't feel like I'm going to be the last person on the course when I finally get my butt across that finish!

My start was a little slow (new start line pusher guy), but I got up to speed pretty quick hit the high 18s low 19s and tried not to blow up too soon - I tend to do that and then feel like I might die. In fact, I spend the first couple of miles wondering why I'm even Time Trialing. Oh, to challenge myself each week...that's right. Anyway, Tom passed me a few minutes in and then another rider and that was it for a few minutes. Soon enough then the TT bike riders started passing me...cheaters ;) I think fighting the wind was pretty equal going in both directions. I'm not good at tell what is a cross wind or not, but we had it all, except for a tail wind. THAT was pretty much non-existent. Gotta love Lower River Road!

Overall, I'm really happy with how my times are getting better. From the first week to the next ride which was two weeks later, there was no question whether or not my time would improve, the wind was THAT bad...fierce! The time improvement was about two and a half minutes. This week I improved my time by around 40 seconds, which seems more in the normal range of weekly improvement. I had to put in a lot of effort at the end when I caught sight of the finish, so much that I thought I might die! John says that if you are having a good time, then you are not doing it right. So I guess feeling like I might die is a good thing...hahaha!

I think we'll be working on the bikes sometime this weekend. After rooting around the Bike Garage a little I found that we have some shims that I can probably use to make my aerobars work on my Trek and get that all dialed in so I can start riding my fast red bike instead of my Fuji on Thursday nights. Finally implementing the plan that I thought up so long ago! The only problem I have with my Trek is that I will no longer have a computer to use since I have little real estate on my handlebars to support Aerobars AND a cycle computer. Dang it, I might have to get a new computer! Actually, that wouldn't be a bad idea. That would work out just perfect so I'll know exactly how many miles I have put in Time Trialing each season...very clever ;)


Triathlon Training...
I'm nearing the end of my 7th week of tri training, and this week was one of those weeks that I just wanted to get through the workouts. Not that I'm feeling uninspired, maybe just wanting June 11 to be here already! What am I saying?! I'm not ready yet!!! There will be a Open Water Clinic put on by Athlete's Lounge on June 4th at Blue Lake. Perfect! That weekend is my last weekend of training before Blue Lake Tri weekend, so I think I'm going to get in on that. Might also think about registering for Blue Lake while I'm thinking of it too...oh and get that wetsuit reserved.




So, until June 11th it's train, Train, TRAIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment