About Me

My photo
Hello and welcome to my blog! My name is Nancy. I decided to retire early and my last day at the Fire District was December 31, 2020. My dream to do this pigs 'n poultry thing full time started on January 1, 2021. So far so good...

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Taking Some Time Off

This is a "forced" time off per my new doctor of podiatry. I had some more x-rays done when I arrived at his office which offered a better picture of what was going on. Better in that I was actually standing up and actually applying pressure (my weight) to my foot instead of lying on a table and putting my put in the required position at Southwest.

Dr. Benson figured that I probably had a stress fracture during the summer and that at this point it is 90% healed. He also informed me that I had a bunion which probably helped to cause the stress fracture. He explained it all and I don't think I could explain it here. All I know is that my foot is only slightly deformed - what else could be wrong with me? I asked if the bunion would get worse and he said possibly...that's reassuring. He suggested that I not run until the New Year or walk or ride (outdoors). In true fashion I asked if I could ride my bike on my trainer and he said as long as I was just spinning and not applying pressure, like standing up, then I should be fine. Until the first of the year I'll be hanging out, spinning on my trainer and probably doing pilates to my hearts content. The fact that I can't even walk for fitness is even sad for me and I hate walking! That says something I think.

There is a "First Day" run on Dec 31 and Tom and I decided that the 1.5 mile would be doable, especially since I will do NO running and really, it is right before the New Year...so it is fudging just a little, but still, I'll just have to take it easy. Our plan was to do the 5K that evening, but when I start up again I am to take it really slow and just do embarrassingly short distances - no more than a mile at a time - and even less - for a week or two and then work up from there. I suppose I could do that - I really need to try to be a better patient about stuff like this. If I re-injure myself I might have to be in a walking boot for longer than a couple of weeks and the Duathlon may not happen and that would be a very sad. So I'm going to do all I can to give my foot a rest and let it heal completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment