About Me

My photo
Hello and welcome to my blog! My name is Nancy. I decided to retire early and my last day at the Fire District was December 31, 2020. My dream to do this pigs 'n poultry thing full time started on January 1, 2021. So far so good...

Thursday, October 3, 2013

A Lesson in Food Choices


A couple of weeks ago I was on vacation. You would think that my running routine would be okay - it wasn't.

The week started off not terribly great as I had a couple of doctor's appointments and I didn't really have the time between the appointments and napping to actually hydrate well for my run the next day.

Tuesday rolls around and I had the worst run ever - well, not really, but it certainly didn't feel good. I'm just glad that it was only an easy 3 miles. All I remember is that I had to TRY really hard to actually run the 3 miles - which isn't usually a problem. It was painful - but I was good and did it and tried very hard to not beat myself up over it as I am prone to do. I was, after all, on vacation.

We were set to take the train to Seattle and we needed wanted food to bring along with us. So after spending some quality time at "our" Starbucks we mosey'd over to Fred Meyer and took a walk around the store to see what looked good. I settled on some popcorn chicken, you know the breaded and fried kind...as if there is any other kind. Then to make that choice not horrible I got a little veggie tray with ranch dressing to go with it. Yeah, that's a REALLY good choice - especially the ranch dressing! I know that I got at least one Odwalla bar, possibly two and I think a bag of chips, but I don't remember that.

I was set for lunch!

So we happily nibbled on our lunch choices during the ride to Seattle and were "fat and happy" upon our arrival. Our next meal was dinner - and since we had arrived close to dinner time we decided why not eat food at the stadium? Well, duh...why not?!

The hotel is directly across the street from Safeco so we rested up a bit and then walked over to start our first baseball experience. We had our tickets scanned and were promptly informed that our tickets were worth $10 on concessions or purchases from the Team Store.

WHAAAAT?!  COOL!

I, of course, wanted to go to the team store...but with the Tuesday discount, I still had a little bit left on the ticket for concessions. Sooo, what to have for dinner, hmmmm???? After walking around the entire stadium, we decided on Ivars - I know, exotic! Halibut and chips please. It was good and I was starting to feel the affects of all the fried foods that I had been consuming at my two main meals so far. I didn't stop there....oh nooo, I was informed that the Garlic Fries are a must. So about the 7th inning I decided I "needed" to get said fries and ingest even more fried yumminess.

OMG - I wasn't feeling so great afterwards.

But wait, there's more! Breakfast the next day....I could have gone somewhat healthy, but why would I do that on my vacation? Nope, I ordered a mimosa and corned beef hash with a fried egg. Okay, now I'm really not feeling all that great...blaaaaaah...it might have been the mimosa - bahahaha!

Just when I thought that Tuesday's run was bad...Thursday was somewhat disastrous. I did quite a bit of walking and didn't feel bad about doing that.

Lesson learned - fried foods taste good, but bring bad results. Drinking water is better than drinking a mimosa...yeah, it was only one, but still. In the couple of weeks since then, I have felt MUCH better and have been keeping on top of my hydration and nutrition...mostly.

Little secret - I would totally indulge again...

No comments:

Post a Comment