About Me

My photo
Hello and welcome to my blog! My name is Nancy. I decided to retire early and my last day at the Fire District was December 31, 2020. My dream to do this pigs 'n poultry thing full time started on January 1, 2021. So far so good...

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Training Run #8, Part 2

Activity:  Run
Type of Run:  Tempo
Distance 4 mi
Actual Distance 2.53
Temp:  44 F
Goal Pace:  Unsure
Actual Pace:  12:20

Yesterday morning I had the idea that if the weather improved by the time I got off work I would run to HB Fuller to be a spectator at a T-Ball game instead of drive. The weather actually was nice, the rain clouds moved on, but the WIND also arrived. BAH! Not a fan. Running at the end of a work day in the swirling wind with LOTS and LOTS of traffic is not ideal.

The main reason why I decided to split up this run is because 4 miles in the dark of morning is somewhat unsettling for this girl. It's been a while since I have had to run on my own and with Tom suffering from a pinched nerve, I'll be running solo for a little while longer.

This morning was not nearly as cold as the other morning, but not terribly cozy either. Went out wearing capris, short sleeve top and my fleece. It seemed to work out alright as I didn't feel overheated when I returned home. I spent a couple of minutes considering how badly I wanted to wear my headlamp. I'm getting to the point that I'm losing interest in the headlamp and since I could see that there were no clouds and some sky that was starting to get more light I left the headlamp at the end of the driveway. Best decision EVER!

The run went fairly well, the best so far this week - this is the first run in a week that I haven't felt like I shouldn't be running at all. Even though I feel like I'm going slow when I get home and record my stats I'm surprised that my pace isn't so slow after all. I feel like I shouldn't be getting better - at 47 - and I should be getting slower. Things are surprisingly good!

Now, just to shake things up, I should add some strength training - just for the fun of it! I could take some of the advice that I read in my Runner's World magazines. With a variety of exercises each month, I could switch things up every few weeks. AND the best thing - most of the exercises can be easily done while I'm watching TV with Tom, you know, quality time in the evening...bahahaha...

We'll see how that works out. I'm not convinced yet ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment