About Me

My photo
Hello and welcome to my blog! My name is Nancy. I decided to retire early and my last day at the Fire District was December 31, 2020. My dream to do this pigs 'n poultry thing full time started on January 1, 2021. So far so good...

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Speedwork & Pocket Fuel

SPEEDWORK?



Okay - so yesterday was a speedwork day for me (us) -  the prescribed workout was 2 x 1600 w/ 800 jogs, with 1 mi warm up and 1 mi warm down.

Let's just put things in perspective. It's been a while since I've done speedwork and I fancied myself a friend of speedwork. Yesterday morning I woke up in a bad way - was in pain and really wasn't in the mood to do 1600s at the track and doing 1600s on the road seemed daunting because it's a long stinkin' way to the library! So we (Tom) decided that we should do 800s while we (I) decided that the track would be good. Seemed like a fair compromise.

So off we went and with each step I could tell that the morning would not go well. Once we got to the track Tom did his thing and I was psyching myself up for 800s, because I know that I can do them. Well, with all the pain I had been feeling in my arm/shoulder running 800s was going to be a struggle so I opted at first to just do 400s then after a good walk break I thought I might be able to push out 600s. In the end I did 400s and 600s, but lost count after the first one...I'm a genius! Bad runs happen and I only hope that the long run on the schedule for Saturday doesn't hurt too much. We'll just have to keep it interesting - that's the key!

Throwing in a bonus run this evening with Mary - couple of miles of easy running and walking to get back into the groove with my amiga!

Pocket Fuel

It had not occurred to me to actually blog about the items that come in my monthly StrideBox, until I started with the dreaded Chia Seed beverage. Go HERE for the initial installment...I'll wait. I'll let you decide to look at the other posts on your own.

So, a couple of weeks ago I realized I was out of GU and needed something to give me a little boost for what I think was a long run. I rooted around in my StrideBox to see what looked good. Aaah, Pocket Fuel...

Java - yeah, that's coffee baby!
This wasn't as funky as I thought I would be, it was quite pleasant actually. Although, I did miss the part that says GEL...while mooshing the package a little it didn't feel as thick at GU so I guess in my mind I thought it was more liquid. Well, no...after I started to "pour" it into a small glass it became pretty obvious that it was NOT a runny liquid, but a thick liquid. I wanted to share this with Tom so I got a spoon out and squeezed a little bit and gave it a sniff and then gulped it down. Hey, not bad...one more spoonful and the rest was Tom's. He seemed to like it okay too. Okay...so not everything is suspect that comes in those boxes. Actually most things are good - I have only encountered a couple of things that I KNOW I will not purchase - EVER!

The May StrideBox will be on its way soon and I'm looking forward to seeing what we get to try out this month!


No comments:

Post a Comment