About Me

My photo
Hello and welcome to my blog! My name is Nancy. I decided to retire early and my last day at the Fire District was December 31, 2020. My dream to do this pigs 'n poultry thing full time started on January 1, 2021. So far so good...

Monday, May 12, 2014

HOW Far is 8 Miles?


Two miles further than my last long run! We went from running a 6 mile long run last weekend to 8 this weekend. I don't get why we skipped 7 because I think I was ready to be done around that distance.

We decided to leave Tom's truck at station Friday after work so I needed to map out a route from our house. It's not that easy to do a direct route...gotta go way past the final destination to get the distance in.

The Route...easy on "paper" from our house to the trail and to the office. I haven't done a run on the trail for at least a couple of years - and I remembered why after less than a mile on the trail itself. I do not enjoy the trail. I'm more of a roadie girl and can't get over the quiet of the trail and the remoteness of it all. I struggled all 3 miles worth of the trail. In my mind that is a FAIL. Once we reached the road, I felt back in my element and thoroughly enjoyed the remainder of the run which was probably around 4 miles. However, I have to mention that within a 1/2 mile we did spy a Bald Eagle flying very low and slow not far from us....THAT made that particular part of the run not nearly as horrible.

So, we finally get off of the SC trail and I'm diggin' running on the road again! I was still taking walking breaks, but not as many as on the trail and it was actually very pleasant. The rest of the route was fairly easy, even though it is a grind from the park up to 99th Street. A good grind though...nice wide shoulders (for the most part) and not really any unevenness.We have run this part of HDA a few times, so there are no surprises. All good in my book!

Next time we have to log an 8 mile (or longer) run I think we'll look at the Half Marathon route and choose a part to get familiar with and call it good.

Event day is 33 days away! Getting excited - I think I'll be posting a much better time for my 2nd half marathon :)


No comments:

Post a Comment