About Me

My photo
Hello and welcome to my blog! My name is Nancy. I decided to retire early and my last day at the Fire District was December 31, 2020. My dream to do this pigs 'n poultry thing full time started on January 1, 2021. So far so good...

Friday, May 7, 2010

Big Chain Ring Gooood....

 (Cycling season is not going as planned...stupid rain)


Riding Time Trials is FUN...well, if riding all out as fast as you can like a fool is fun for you. For some reason, me and my mister like time trialing. Riding against the clock trying to beat your last time, yeah that's fun.

So, last night Tom and I rode our second Vancouver Bicycle Club time trial for the year and we were #26 & #27. Tom gives me the courtesy of wearing the number ahead of him which in actuality makes me the carrot. Not that I have a problem with being a carrot, but this is a time trial and as I mentioned above, in a time trial riding like a fool is key. With about 50 riders last night we were about mid-way through the line up which is nice so that there would be about an equal number starting before and after us. So, really, not too many behind that would pass and those that did pass were riding TT bikes....cheaters ;)

Now there is a little bit of a ritual that goes into getting ready to start. One of the VBC members grabs a hold of the saddle and steadies the bike as the rider gets situated...resetting the computer, clicking into the pedals...listening to the countdown. Ugh...the 30 countdown...in 30 seconds I could fall down just waiting!

Anyway, two weeks ago I started in my small chain ring because the wind was whippin' pretty good and I needed to be able to spin more...about 3 miles into the course I decided that maybe the big ring would bring better results and it did. It is all about what can bring you more SPEED and the small ring was not cuttin' it. So, last night I decided since the wind wasn't so bad that I would start in the big ring just for the sake of getting going out there and fast since Mr. Tom would be starting 30 seconds behind me.

I LOVE THE BIG RING!

After a mile or so a couple of people passed, neither were Tom...then another rider or two...still no Tom. A HA! There was some distance between us and there was no way that I was going to let the gap get smaller so I kept on pushing until the turn around. Tom was right behind me at the turn around, but he didn't lap me until after...I WIN! It was fun trying to keep far enough ahead which would make Tom work harder at catching me...hehehe...so fun! Later he would admit that he felt sluggish. We determined that since he had forgotten his computer that he really didn't know where he was as far as speed or distance, so a little bit of a disadvantage. Next time might be different, but we'll see...

In the end my unofficial time was 33:10 - about a minute and a half faster than last week.

So yeah, Big Ring is Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment