About Me

My photo
Hello and welcome to my blog! My name is Nancy. I decided to retire early and my last day at the Fire District was December 31, 2020. My dream to do this pigs 'n poultry thing full time started on January 1, 2021. So far so good...

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Why, why, why...

Do I do anything? Why am I so drawn to doing biking and running events...why do I like multisport events...Why does Tom willingly participate in these things with me? WHY?!

I thought a lot about why I ride and run and train and look for ways to improve and look for events to do. A lot of my drive comes from my appointment way back when with my radiation oncologist right after I got my diagnosis and she was like, "You shouldn't ride your bike." Whoa...wait a minute - THAT was the wrong thing to say. Yeah, so I really hadn't had my road bike all that long, less than 6 months, but I already knew that no one could tell me NOT to ride. So after a mini negotiation period, I did not have to give up my bike. A small victory at the beginning of a long road that leads to today.

Since that year we have ridden in many events and a couple of years ago I decided that I wanted to start running. The Livestrong Event in Portland had a 5k and I wanted to see if I could do it. I started a running plan to work up to running 30 minutes and we were on our way to running our first running event! I ran my first 5k in 39:47 - not bad for an old slow chick...hahaha! We ran another 5K that summer and then I was done running for the year and focused on the rest of the cycling events that we usually do.

The next year with Livestrong relocating the event to Seattle I wanted to figure out a new challenge to take its place. I had kicked around the idea of doing a duathlon for a little while and last year seemed like the right time to do it. It was my 5 year event - 5 years since my diagnosis and all that. So it was a special one. My training for last year's du was what I like to call training light - but I had so much fun that I started looking for more multisport events to do...then came the All Women's event. I got to team up with Robin and got to share the multisport craze with a friend.

People and bikes everywhere!

Training for Blue Lake 2010 started last Fall. I had to get back to running since I pretty much slacked of by the end of summer. Fortunately I was able to get back into it pretty easily - though it was painful. I hope to not fall into the not running routine again...must keep running! The bike part is easy by comparison.

So our Du was yesterday and it was so fun - my times were slower than last year's, but the weather didn't help. Actually, the park was all mucked up so I was being extra careful in the muddy areas and not running on the grassy area on the second run. Wet & muddy grass is not good, it's quite slow actually, so I figured I may as well walk. I wasn't the only one...it just wasn't pleasant at all.

The first run was pretty good. Nothing terribly eventful really - this run would be my 5th time running it in my 3rd event at Blue Lake with an additional coming after the bike! I am not fond of the first run, the duathletes run it apart from the triathletes since they are in the water swimming away. The fun part about doing the first run is coming back to the park and a part of the course goes past the lake. It's fun to watch all the bobbing heads in the water!

The bike portion of the course was equally unpleasant as the roadway was recently rotomilled and it was quite rough. I couldn't get comfortable in any position - hoods, drops or aerobars...nothing was good, but my ride was only slightly faster over last year's time...surprise of all surprises!

Run #2 - slower, but not painful. I definitely did not have lead legs. All those brick training sessions paid off! The best part of this run is the course not far from the finish is lined with people who have already finished the race and they cheer on us slow-pokes which is really cool. Also, Tom had finished 25 minutes or so ahead of me so he was near the finish chute cheering me as I was "running" by - I may have been shuffling at that point.

Tom has been so great...so supportive and so willing! I'm so grateful to have a husband who wants to run and ride and participate in all sorts of events and all that stuff! We'll see if he wants to try out a triathlon next year - I may be on my own while he tries to better his duathlon time.

 Tom appearing to be worn out from the race - what a kidder!

So, I start swimming tomorrow! A day and a half of rest should be enough...I hope!

1 comment:

  1. So proud of you! And I think Tom likes it as much as you do! ;) You guys make the perfect team.

    ReplyDelete