About Me

My photo
Hello and welcome to my blog! My name is Nancy. I decided to retire early and my last day at the Fire District was December 31, 2020. My dream to do this pigs 'n poultry thing full time started on January 1, 2021. So far so good...

Friday, August 3, 2012

Daily Double



Yesterday was a fun day! Went for a 4 mile run in the morning - a run that did not feel horrible...YAY!  Then after work Tom and I rode our first 2012 VBC Time Trial.

The Time Trial season starts in April and between Tom being in the hospital and the constant rain, I didn't have an opportunity to go and ride on a Thursday night. Which was fine, because it would not have been the same without Tom.A couple of weeks ago Helen (physical therapist) gave him a go ahead to ride as hard and as far as he is able...WAHOOOOOO!!So after work Tom picked me up from work with the bikes nestled in the back of the pick-up and off we went to ride faster less leisurely ride.

Now that there is some sort of construction going on near the Port offices the start line has been relocated about 2.5 miles down the road. Which is cool because it's not far from Frenchman's Bar and past that point the traffic is mostly light. It still is mostly windy, but with no cars to contend with, it makes for a very pleasant ride! We signed in and then went to warm up a bit.

So, 6:30 rolled around and we lined up - I was #1 and Tom #2 - which is how I mostly like it. That way, we get going first and then we are getting back around 35-40 minutes later. Which is good because I don't like to get home too late which makes dinner later...blah blah blah.

Anyway - it's been a year since we last rode a TT, so I totally forgot about how nervous I am with the first couple of TT's of the season. I quickly got into a mental groove and tried to keep my head down and just pedal as much as possible to get through the wind. As usual, Tom passed me after about a mile or so and then a few others. I'm never bummed when I get passed because that just means there are now people for me to look at to keep me motivated!

Around 2-2.5 miles into the course I was passed by #3...FINALLY. I was able to kind of keep that rider in my sight most of the way to the turn around so that was enough for me to not slow down too much, you know, fight the wind a little harder! I knew the turn around was coming up because I saw some of the people that passed me earlier on their way back - which of course included Tom and he gave me some encouragement as we passed.

So, I see the cones and I'm relieved because riding into the wind was getting pretty old. #3 was still ahead of me and I was getting a little closer...then he made the turn around....without going around the cones which were still down the road a little bit!

WHAT THE HECK?!  YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

I was slightly annoyed by that and considered not pursuing this cheaty-cheaterson. Then the #11 rider passed me and she continued on to pass the cheater. After a minute or two I decided that I could reel this guy back in...so here we go, head down! It worked, after spending about 5 minutes trying to catch him, I passed and kept going.

NOW - once you pass it's gotta be a pass and keep going because you don't want to be passed by the person you just passed...right? So, there was enough of a tailwind that I could just get into a big gear and GO! I don't know what my finish time was...all that matters is that I finished ahead of the cheater. HA!

Yeah...I don't like cheaters.


No comments:

Post a Comment