About Me

My photo
Hello and welcome to my blog! My name is Nancy. I decided to retire early and my last day at the Fire District was December 31, 2020. My dream to do this pigs 'n poultry thing full time started on January 1, 2021. So far so good...

Monday, August 20, 2012

Girls Only!

(moxierunners.com)
Had a fun day yesterday! Started off by running a 5k that started at the Amphitheater and basically went around and through the fairgrounds.

Have been working hard at sticking to my training plan and switched it up last week - changing it from a 1/2 marathon plan to a 10k plan. Had to make the training hard to get it to match where I was in the 1/2 plan...and also because the 10k that I'm planning to run is in October - so CHOP CHOP!

Tom likes to ask me if I am excited about whatever event I'm going to do. My usual response is "Not really" which I want to say is weird, but it's how I feel. I guess I just don't get hyped up like some people do. When I get to the event I look forward to things getting started, but excited? Not so much.

The race started shortly after 7am and off I went with more than 200 other ladies - various shapes, sizes and abilities. That's kind of a nice thing. It's one thing to run a coed event where I just get passed like crazy by a bunch of guys. I guess this is the nice thing about a women only event, I pass and get passed probably equally throughout the run. Kind cool.

So, here I am running by myself and can't wait until we get to the point where the 1/2 marathoners go their way and the 5k'ers go their way.  It's at this point that I can figure out who exactly I'll be hanging with and probably finishing pretty close to and just enjoy the morning.The route went past the Public Safety Center and then down to Delfel road and into the fair - down the main alley way and out where Gate G is and back up to the Public Safety Center - and finally back to the finish at the amphitheater.

At about 1.5 miles from the finish there are a couple of gals that are running together and one of them made a comment about passing - again. I would run for a while, pass them and then hit a point that walking was the better thing to do and start walking. Then they would pass me and this went on for about .75 miles. At the water stop at 179th Street, I decided that I would take on some electrolytes and then start running back to the finish - which for the most part was downhill. After a while I encountered another woman who I was "leap-frogging" with and we went back and forth with passing. I finally had enough of all this back and forth stuff and decided to just go for it and started picking up the pace and passed the two gals and then the older woman, who by the way had a pretty good pace going.

In the end, I passed these ladies and kept going...finished strong AND beat my 4th of July run time by 2 minutes - my 2012 PR! My finish time actually calculated out to a 12:30 pace - which for me is pretty swift! With my shorty legs, I'm sure that won't run a sub-12 minute pace, but hey, at least I know I can do it! Even if it almost kills me!

Go HERE for some photos.


No comments:

Post a Comment