About Me

My photo
Hello and welcome to my blog! My name is Nancy. I decided to retire early and my last day at the Fire District was December 31, 2020. My dream to do this pigs 'n poultry thing full time started on January 1, 2021. So far so good...

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Why I push myself

This week I was visiting with our LifePak Tech/Rep about cycling and my quest to train for a Duathlon. He seemed interested in hearing more about the du - I may have him hooked on the idea we'll see if he's at Blue Lake on June 13.

Anyway, we were discussing cycling in general and how we each enjoy riding so much and as often as possible. Then he asked why I decided to do a duathlon and I had to think about it for a second - my reply was pretty simple - to improve my physical condition, to push myself to do more on my bike and to run more. I set the goals to get better, simple as that. It has been quite a process getting to this point.

For a couple of years I spent a lot of time just riding my bike and enjoying the freedom that comes with it not to mention the health benefits. After a couple of years which coincided with the last two or three of my chemo treatments I decided I wanted to do organized events. Not to race or anything, but to get used to riding with other people and to watch other people handle their bikes in different situations. Okay, so I wasn't thinking that so much in the beginning, but that is what I ended up doing. Although, I know that it was an opportunity to push myself a little toward the end of my treatments, to feel better physically and to help me keep a good attitude with all the cancer stuff I had gone thru up to that point, which was the summer of 2005.

Another year or two go by and we are participating in more cycling events and logging lots of miles, but somehow it was not totally fulfilling - so I started bike commuting like crazy last summer. That was for two reason - 1. I'm not that much of a fan of driving. 2. Gas prices were getting out of hand. So 2008 was the year of the bike. Not only did we ride a lot I challenged myself to train for the Livestrong Challenge 5K that was at the end of June. Training for that started in the middle of March, not much time, but enough to realize that I quitting would be plan ol' stupid after putting in so much time into running, an activity I have not totally embraced yet. At the end of last cycling season I felt so good and it was the product of setting the goals and my aversion to driving that got me to that point.

Now that I was hooked I started thinking about a new goal and what we could do to better our physical condition and the idea for the Duathlon popped up and I immediately was excited. Even more so now since I have a few friends at work that will be participating as well which will make the event that much more fun!

So I ride a bike not just for the sake of riding anymore...I ride with purpose and with the determination to do better than the day before. There is nothing like a goal to really get your attention. The Duathlon is June 13 and ready or not I'm going to participate. Since this is my first Du, my goal this year is to just finish. Next year I will go for time...I'm psyched!

No comments:

Post a Comment